Tongass Community Organizer
The Southeast Alaska Conservation Council seeks a skilled organizer to promote a community-driven vision for the future of the Tongass National Forest. The organizer will collaborate with local people to develop and advance a blueprint for forest management that prioritizes our region’s resilient communities, future economic prosperity, small wood industry, and wildlife and subsistence values. The position may be based in our Juneau office or anywhere in Southeast Alaska, and will involve travel to southern Southeast Alaskan communities. The position is temporary (4-5 months) and part-time (15-20 hours per week) with the potential to grow into full-time and longer term as funding allows. Position to start immediately.
For 40+ years SEACC has been the local, grassroots voice for Southeast Alaska’s rainforest, waters, and communities, working alongside local people to win key conservation victories for Southeast Alaska. As the primary regional conservation organization in Southeast Alaska, SEACC uses grassroots community organizing, community development, legal action, and policy advocacy to protect the clean waters and wild rainforests that support our economy, subsistence opportunities, and way of life in Southeast Alaska.
• A passion for solutions-based community organizing.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills with demonstrated ability to understand tone and voice as it pertains to rural, grassroots organizing and inclusive conservation messaging.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, a team-focused approach to projects, and track record of success with colleague and community relationships.
• Ability to connect with Tribal, fishing, logging, and other rural community members.
• Working knowledge of Southeast Alaskan communities and/or Tongass National Forest issues.
• An eye for strong visual communications and experience with image editing, photography, and/or graphic design skills.
• Experience with or demonstrated aptitude for learning database and online grassroots engagement software.
Benefits and Compensation:
Compensation is hourly and commensurate with experience.
Please send a single PDF labeled with your name that includes resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications accepted until position is filled, with preference given to applications arriving before Nov. 1st.